Thursday, March 23, 2006

One of my favourites

1994 in the spring, at a hospital in Toronto.
Was in the delivery room and was told to leave because they had to do a emergency c-section. Mil was there and she is a nurse so it was reassuring that she said it would be alright.
20-20 hindsight, I was kind of glad not being there, I had a really weak stomach for blood.
Anyway in the waiting room for the duration with my Mom and mil.
The're yapping away and I'm nervously pacing the hallways.
One asks if we picked a name, which we did on the way to the hospital.
They then ignored me and started yapping again.
About 1 hour had passed, but it seemed like forever.
The nurse that kicked me out walked by and I flagged her down.
"Well what did we have?"
She would of walked right by if I didn't get her attention.
She told me a healthy boy, 8lbs 3oz and they would bring him out in a few moments as they had to clean him up.
As my wife was completely out in recovery, I was the first to hold him.
They brought him to me and the first thing I thought of was "I have to hold a baby."
I then held him and looked at him, he looked exactly like me.
A tear welled up in a eye and a big lump in my throat.
Wow, love can be that strong.
I found out that holding your own baby is easy, as is being a parent.
My wife had a rough first week or so and a slow physical recovery to get to her somewhat normal self.
That baby is now my almost 12 year old it manager and almost the same height as his mother.
Oh yea, he still looks like I did at that age.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Nice size! My girl was 9lbs, i hada 30 hour labour and a natural delivery. My hubby sat in the delivery room and ate a roast dinner that the hospital provided, whilst i sucked on ice chips!!
Like yourself, he was the first to hold her as i was exhausted. She had her father wrapped around her finger then.......and 10 years on she still does!!

Greeneyes said...

Beautiful story,your just a big Teddy bear arent ya!
Greeneyes