Sunday, January 24, 2010

two days in a row

After not blogging for ove a year, I'm here two days in a row.
These days I'm not being nice, not protecting some people's feelings.

When my father had his stroke, I was the son who had to phone and email all our relatives, seeing my parents were out of the country when this stroke happen.

It happened to be the toughest thing I have ever done in my life. Calling your uncle and having him cry on the phone is unbelievably heart wretching.
My Mom's sister cried, as a few cousins as well.
5 days later I realized that I probably made 50 phone calls and at least the same amount of emails.
I was completely spent, emotionally exhausted.
That day I received a email from my Mother, baasically saying they didn't know how long Dad could hang on.
I showed it to my Mother in law(who is a retired nurse) and she said "you should go over right away." I get choked up thinking about it right now.
I booked, used my airmiles, and was there 2 days later.
Again, the first day was emotionally exhausting.
Walking in the stroke ward and seeing your father there unable to do anything but cry.
I cried for awhile, but obviously the tears dried up.
The rest of the time I spent there was actually nice, just because I got away from my everyday stressful life. (meaning very emotional calls)
The last day I was there was tough, for the reason that I never thought I would see my Father alive ever again.
I did!
But it was very difficult to see a big, strong man, destroyed by a horrible illness.
He was my Dad, but now are roles were reversed.
He was the man who took care of everything, now we were in that position.
This wasn't gradual as well....
But this is life and we have to deal with it.

No comments: