Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Years!

What a way to start the new year, up after 4 hours of sleep because of all the food I ate last evening.
Well at least I like the solitude!

What we did on New years Eve?
My family went the next town east of here and went skating at 8ish. At this complex they also had musicians, face painting and decorations everywhere, so it was nice.
I've played hockey there before but I forgot how nice this rink actually is. Truth be known, the place I play is a dump, but it is where my buddies play and ice is ice.
We then went to this families' place right after for snacks and drinks. This family is mostly Italian so the word snack should be replaced by 4 course meal.
That's why I woke up, I'm just not used to eating that much period, let alone after 9pm.
It was nice to be in that environment though, kids running around everywhere and not quiet.
I was completely dry last night, not one drop of booze.
I decided to stay this way earlier in the evening when I said I don't need anything at the beer or liquor store. I still find it different to not have one drop, but it certainly nice to wake the year up feeling not hungover.

My feelings on New Years celebrations differ from most friends. Some go completely nuts and drink their faces off, which means to me a hangover to start the year.
Some do the same old boring stuff every year. I have this buddy who goes to the house of this other friend with his wife and then sometime in the next month they kind of complain that it was boring. I bet you that they do the same thing next year.
I like to be with family and I like to try something alittle different every year. Last year we went for appetizers and then a movie. We've been to parties, dinners, dances, outdoor events, concerts, well you get it....
Nothing fancy, but with the people you want to be with and different.

Another topic!
We were at this Boxing Day party last week and I have this issue with these friends.
I've known these guys since I was a kid, literally. 3 guys were there and me, I known them since I was 7, 14 and 15 respectively(wives and kids were there as well)
2 of them go out to the garage and get stoned and I think it is rude to keep on doing it. I used to smoke dope, alot of it, but curtailed my use as I got older and became a dad.
I figure if they invite me over with my family they could wait for a few hours and do this shit later.
I'm stuck sitting there in a room by myself waiting for them to come back. I'm talking about 2 hours out of 5.
The one guy does this and he has a teenager. What's Daddy doing out there doesn't hold water anymore and he's going to deal with that sooner than later.
I'm not against smoking dope and I'm not a teetotaller, but I'm against rude and thoughtless people.
The one guy I left out is a toker as well but he actually cares how some people feel and he finds it rude as well. He may go out once for 10 minutes and that's it. He can wait for the kids to go bed and he may do it then.
The patience thing wears thin as you get older.

New Years resolutions!
To be healthy and happy!
Read more.
Be with friends more.
Make some new friends.
Exercise more.
Be more patient and understanding.

Happy New Year to all my blogger friends, good health and happiness to all of you!

3 comments:

swan_pr said...

Happy New Year :)

Michelle said...

I'll refrain from voicing my opinion LOL.
Happy New Year!

Cathy said...

Unlike Michelle, I won't refrain; those friends are idiots!
Anyway, your resolutions are great and I hope you have a wonderful 2006, friend!