Wednesday, July 27, 2005

My Dad, his heart

My father had his angiogram today.
Good news and bad news.
First the good news, it was about what my father thought and he seems to be the most positive of my mother and I, who were there.
The bad, he has 1 artery 90% clogged and from some special xray he has a weak heart.
They have to so a nuclear test to confirm their findings(in 2 or 3 weeks) and if they are correct they will put in a confibiler(excuse the spelling) to control the irregular heartbeat.
If it is a weak heart, then no operation to clean out the artery, it won't help the weakness and there is too much risk.
So when it is said and done, mild exercise, no drinking, weight loss and better living will be in order.
Not easy for anyone, but for a 68 year old stuck in his old ways.

Both my parents are still alive, so this news today makes me think that what I've always cared for and taken for granted that they always are there for me, will eventually not be.
Kind of scary and sad at the same time.
With my sister living in Boston, she obviously couldn't be there. My brother who lives close by(closer than me) doesn't even know about the test and my father's condition.
That's sad and he will regret it one dad. My uncle did the same thing and he still regrets it 30 years later. My bro and uncle are more alike than they both know.

A quick note on hockey. With my father in the hospital, they had this tube stuck in his groin and he explained to me how they did it.
I cringed!
I then told him about this guy who last year had cancer and was going through chemotherapy. He played pick up hockey with us during this time, he said he had nothing better to do.
yesterday he didn't show up because he tweaked his groin muscle. That's fine!
I find it funny that guys will protect that area over anything else on their bodies.
This fellow was picking off his fingernails and was bald and yet he has a small groin injury and he can't show up.
I'm not criticizing, but I find it funny.
Most guys are the same.

2 comments:

A Woman From Illinois said...

I will include him in my prayers.

Michelle said...

This post evoked many memories of when my mother was ill. To cut a very long story short, i live a few States away fro my mother and my younger brother lives not too far from my mum, it was left to him to do the hospital visitng etc...my father and mother were divorced and my mum remarried.
For reasons i won't go into here, i didn't go visit my mum when she was sick (she's fine now) and my brother who has never ever been close to me never forgives me. Personally i don't give a damn because i fell he is very selfish. He would not have a clue at what has ever gone on between my mother and myself....our history etc...he has never bothered to ask why i feel as i do. You can't act to please others....or just because "its right". Don't be too quick to judge your brother, he may have valid reasons why he does the things he does. I will never feel guilty if something happens, i have nothing to be guilty of.